A silent demonstration for Muslims in Gaza was held in the city’s Juhapura area on Sunday. However, the demonstration was called off after the Vejalpur police detained six protesters, including social activist Noorjahan Diwan.
The programme was organised by the Muslims of Juhapura, who wanted to protest against the killings of women and children in Gaza and “pray” for peace in Israel.
However, the police claimed that the locals hadn’t taken permission from the Ahmedabad Police Commissioner and Vejalpur police for holding this demonstration.
Inspector R B Mirza said, “The locals had first sought permission for August 30, which was given. They later sought permission for August 24, for which they weren’t given permission. But still they went ahead and gathered at Juhapura for their prayers.
“The gathering was illegal since it wasn’t permitted. Six of them, including a woman activist, were detained and brought to the police station. These six, among others, had opposed to the police presence and got into an argument with the police.”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The detainees were taken to Vejalpur police station and let off after two hours. The police also said that if the locals want to hold a demonstration or a prayer gathering they can once again apply for it at the police station.