Bringing days of speculation to an end over whether Congress leader Shankersinh Vaghela will be contesting the Lok Sabha polls or not, the party on Saturday named him as the official Congress candidate. It was widely believed that he might quit the party if denied a ticket.
Apart from Naranbhai Rathwa, who is fielded from Chhotaudepur (ST) seat, eight candidates have been repeated. Rathwa, who lost the 2009 polls, is being given a ticket from the same seat.
The names of candidates for the Patan and Kheda constituencies have been held back. These constituencies are at present held by party MPs Jagdish Thakor and Dinsha Patel. While Dinsha Patel had expressed reluctance to contest, the situation is fluid for Thakor.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
In a press statement issued on Saturday and signed by AICC general secretary Madhusudan Mistry, the names of the following have been cleared by the party: Sabarkantha-Shankarsinh Vaghela, Surendranagar-Somabhai Gandabhai Patel, Rajkot-Kuvarjibhai Bavalia, Jamnagar-Vikrambhai Madam, Anand-Bharatbhai Solanki, Dahod ST-Dr Prabhaben Taviyad, Chhotaudepur ST-Naranbhai Rathwa, Bardoli ST-Dr Tusharbhai Chaudhary and Valsad ST-Kishanbhai Patel.
The second round, expected to be held next week, will see candidates for the Banaskantha seat vacated due to death of sitting Congress MP Mukesh Gadhavi and Vitthal Radadiya, who joined the BJP after quitting his Rajkot seat and went on the win Porbandar Lok Sabha seat later in a by-election.