Bringing days of speculation to an end over whether Congress leader Shankersinh Vaghela will be contesting the Lok Sabha polls or not, the party on Saturday named him as the official Congress candidate. It was widely believed that he might quit the party if denied a ticket.
Apart from Naranbhai Rathwa, who is fielded from Chhotaudepur (ST) seat, eight candidates have been repeated. Rathwa, who lost the 2009 polls, is being given a ticket from the same seat.
The names of candidates for the Patan and Kheda constituencies have been held back. These constituencies are at present held by party MPs Jagdish Thakor and Dinsha Patel. While Dinsha Patel had expressed reluctance to contest, the situation is fluid for Thakor.
In a press statement issued on Saturday and signed by AICC general secretary Madhusudan Mistry, the names of the following have been cleared by the party: Sabarkantha-Shankarsinh Vaghela, Surendranagar-Somabhai Gandabhai Patel, Rajkot-Kuvarjibhai Bavalia, Jamnagar-Vikrambhai Madam, Anand-Bharatbhai Solanki, Dahod ST-Dr Prabhaben Taviyad, Chhotaudepur ST-Naranbhai Rathwa, Bardoli ST-Dr Tusharbhai Chaudhary and Valsad ST-Kishanbhai Patel.
The second round, expected to be held next week, will see candidates for the Banaskantha seat vacated due to death of sitting Congress MP Mukesh Gadhavi and Vitthal Radadiya, who joined the BJP after quitting his Rajkot seat and went on the win Porbandar Lok Sabha seat later in a by-election.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More