The CBI on Friday filed its reply opposing bail application of two main accused policemen in Sadiq Jamal Mehtar encounter case, stating that bail should not be granted to these accused who pumped several bullets into Sadiq Jamal in the fake encounter. This is the first encounter in which names of Intelligence Bureau (IB) officials had cropped up.
- Ishrat Jahan case: CBI Court reserves order on IB officers' plea
- Ishrat Jahan encounter: CBI court summons four accused IB officers, two challenge move
- Sadiq Jamal Encounter: Two cops granted bail despite CBI opposition
- Cops who ‘pulled the trigger’ on Sadiq Jamal Mehtar denied bail
- CBI court rejects bail plea of two senior cops in Sadiq Jamal fake encounter case
- Ishrat case: Pandey encounters accused cops in court,no exchange
In its three-page reply, filed by CBI police inspector Ketan L Mehta in Mumbai, the agency has said, “During the said stage-managed encounter, five rounds were fired by the applicant accused J G Parmar and six rounds were fired by co-accused Irshad Ali Saiyed. Two bullets were recovered from Sadiq Jamal’s body during post-mortem, one of the bullets had been fired from the service revolver of JG Parmar as opined by the ballistic experts.”
So far, five accused have been granted bail out of a total of eight policemen charge-sheeted by CBI in December 2012. Claiming parity with those five accused out on bail, delay in further investigation and even in trial, Saiyed and Parmar have sought regular bail on the grounds of merit of CBI investigation as well as medical.
They have claimed that “the encounter was genuine and Sadiq was killed in self-defence.” In their petitions, the two accused have said that “CBI is riding on two horses and blowing hot and cold together.” They have claimed that on the one hand CBI is saying the encounter was fake and on the other hand, the central probe agency has relied on the original FIR (stating that it was a genuine encounter) that the accused shot at Sadiq.
In reply, the CBI has said that the offence against the accused are “grave, serious and punishable with capital punishment or life imprisonment. Hence the application may be rejected. Sadiq was killed on January 13, 2003.