Expressing his reservations on the idea of replicating Ahmedabad’s Sabarmati River Front Development Project on the Ganga in Varanasi, a former director of World Bank and also a former Ahmedabad Municipal Commissioner, Keshav Varma, who was in the city on Friday, said Ganga would have to be cleaned up before such a project is taken up.
Varma was one of the founder members of the Sabarmati project and continues to be part of the Special Purpose Vehicle — Sabarmati River Front Development Corporation Ltd (SRFDCL), which is executing the project. Varma, a 1976-batch IAS officer from Gujarat cadre, recently retired as Sector Director for East Asia Pacific Urban, after a 16-year stint in the World Bank.
With the ongoing debate on whether it is feasible to replicate the project, which is among PM Narendra Modi’s pet projects, Varma told The Indian Express, “The Sabarmati River Front Development Project cannot be replicated in Varanasi. There is a huge urban problem there, just like it was on Huangpu River in China. It is a well-known fact that cleaning is a major issue in Ganga, with heaps of garbage and bodies floating in it…We need to create a sense of discipline among the residents there.”
Elaborating on his point, he said, “Riverfront and river basin are two different aspects. Ganga is more about its heritage and culture of ghats. Meanwhile, the riverfront is a commercially viable project and it does not require money to be poured into it. However, once developed, it should generate revenue through land development and land use.”
Sabarmati, unlike the Ganga, is not a perennial river. It divides Ahmedabad into two parts, culturally and historically, given that most parts of the original district, founded by Sultan Ahmed Shah, are on its east bank.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The present Municipal commissioner, Guruprasad Mohapatra, shared Varma’s views: “Ganga and Sabarmati could not be considered on an equal platform. Ganga is a perennial river that needs to be treated differently.”