The rector of Parul University’s women hostel was arrested Sunday evening in connection with a rape case, even as the main accused and varsity’s founder-president Jayesh Patel remained absconding.
Also a BJP leader, Jayesh (66) was suspended from the primary membership of the party, a day after he was booked for allegedly raping a nursing student of the varsity. “With immediate effect, Jayesh Patel has been suspended from the party as a criminal case has been registered against him, which is harming the reputation of the party,” Vadodara district BJP chief Dilubha Chudasama said in a press note.
Even as Jayesh could not be traced, police arrested rector of the hostel Bhavna Patel from Mansa in Gandhinagar district. “Bhavana was arrested from Mansa and brought to Waghodia police station (in Vadodara) for further probe,” said an official at the police station.
- SC/ST scholarship: Delhi govt to set up call centre for students
- Navratri 2017: 3 ways to wear grey on Tritiya (Day 3)
- EXCLUSIVE | Prem Chopra: You guys reveal our age and all the beautiful girls run away, life starts post 80
- Golmaal Again to Judwaa 2, here is a list of some upcoming sequels
- Most watched Indian television shows – Kaun Banega Crorepati 9 and Kumkum Bhagya top BARC list in Week 37
- ISI? He can’t even use phone properly: Kin of man held
Watch Video: What’s making news
Police assured that Jayesh would soon be arrested too.
The case of rape and allied charges was registered at Waghodia police station against Jayesh and Bhavna following a complaint by the 22-year-old nursing student. “Medical reports of the girl have confirmed that she was raped. We are gathering all evidence also taking statements of the other girls of the hostel. So far, we have not received any other complaint of sexual harassment. A FSL (Forensic Science Laboratory) team had joined us in the investigation Saturday and we have handed over the victim’s clothes to the team for further analysis,” said Vadodara SP Saurabh Tolumbia.
Sub-inspector S G Waghela, who is investigating the case, said, “We have taken statements of the other girls at the hostel… they supported the victim’s complaint against the accused.”