Even as the sudden heavy showers that lashed the city on Sunday evening brought much respite to people in Ahmedabad from the soaring heat, one person was reported to have been crushed to death under the weight of an uprooted tree at Nava Vadaj. At least 120 people have also been reportedly injured in separate incidents across the city.
Earlier in the day, the temperature in the city had touched 39.8 degree Celsius, according to the Met office. The downpour continued till late in the evening, leading to several mishaps across the city.
As many as 25 people were reportedly injured in 14 road accidents due to the heavy showers. This was besides the 10 who were injured due to falling of trees, according EMRI 108 service sources. Twenty cases of structural collapse also left around 60 people injured. This includes 10, who were hurt when a glass panel at the entrance of Devarc Mall on S G Highway crashed. Meanwhile, 25 more were reportedly injured in 16 cases of tin roof-flying,, sources said. At least, eight to ten persons were stranded in a lift at Devarc Mall due to power failure. They have all been rescued, he said.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
The strong gusty winds, thunderstorm and unexpected heavy rainfall during this time of the year not only left the residents awestruck, but also the weather department confused.
An average rainfall of 25 mm in two hours — from 6pm to 8 pm —along with high wind velocity resulted in several tree, besides hoardings and billboards, to get uprooted and fall across the city.
Over 100 incidents of tree-falling were reported from various parts of the city, with the maximum being from the western zone areas. Rescue calls of 50 trees uprooting and felling were received by Ahmedabad Municipal Corporations control room, followed by 13 from the eastern zone.
As many as 16 fire tenders had been sent out and were still on the road at the time of filing of this report. This also led to terrible traffic snarls in the western parts, including Shivranjani, Jivraj crossing and Vejalpur areas.
“Certainly this was unexpected at this time of the year, but there is nothing to be scared of as this is a local activity resulting from the heat.
Ahmedabad reported a maximum temperature of 39.8 degree Celsius on Sunday afternoon. Hence, an upper air cyclonic circulation was formed over the region. While with the rainfall temperature in Northern and Saurashtra areas will fall, some rainfall is still expected on Monday,” said director of Ahmedabad’s centre of Meteorological Department Jayanta Sarkar.
Meanwhile, a huge hoarding crumbled near Shivranjani cross road on Satellite Road, blocking the road and causing heavy traffic jam. However, no casualties were reported in this incident, according to additional chief fire officer Rajesh Bhatt, who was supervising removal of debris. The incident occurred at 9 pm, and it would take at least three hours to clear the road for traffic, he said.