Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi met leaders from the cooperative sector, sugar mills and Halpati community, at Sardar Ashram here on Saturday afternoon.
Accompanied by Union Minister of State for Roads, Highways and Transport and Congress MP from Bardoli Dr Tushar Chaudhary, party’s general secretary in charge of Gujarat Gurudas Kamat and other party leaders, Rahul covered over 1 km distance from Vibrant Chokdi in Bardoli town to Sardar Ashram on foot, marking the end of the Gujarat Pradesh Yuva Morcha’s statewide padayatra that began January 18.
At the Sardar Ashram, Rahul Gandhi met Bhikhubhai Patel and Dilipbhai Bhakta, president and vice-president of Sardar Ashram. Bhikhubhai said, “We briefed him on the history of the Sardar ashram. Sardar Patel came here, on the orders of Mahatma Gandhi, and started a movement to abolish the revenue tax imposed on farmers by the British government in 1928. Rahul spent some time in Sardar Patel’s room. The ashram also runs a girls school and khadi and furniture workshops.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Later, leaders of ten sugar mills of South Gujarat met Rahul and handed a memorandum requesting him to look into their harassment by income-tax officials.
Valod Sugar mill secretary Hasmukhbhai Bhakta said, “Our mills run on no profit, no loss basis and even now we are getting show-cause notice from Income tax department. We explained to Rahul how the cooperative sector came into existence and how it works with the participation of farmers. After hearing us out, Rahulji instructed Mr Kamat to look into the issue.
Rahul also spent some time with the girl students of Class VII, IX and X in the ashram schools. He asked them about their life at the Sardar Ashram.