A costly medical equipment worth over Rs 3 crore and bought more than two years back has been gathering dust at the Cancer Care Centre of Gujarat Cancer and Research Institute (GCRI) at Siddhpur town in Patan district due to lack of qualified technical expert to operate the equipment.
The equipment, PET/CT scan, was bought by the GCRI for its centre in Siddhpur. This scanner is an advanced medical equipment for therapeutic monitoring of common cancers. In Ahmedabad, there are only three such equipments. The test on the equipment costs in the range of Rs 15,000 to Rs 18,000.
The use of the machine involves use of nuclear medicine in high security environment and only a specialist – Radiation Oncologist – licenced by Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, can operate the same. Sources said that boxes of PET/CT Scan might have lapsed their warranty period even without being used for once. Though, hospital administrator at GCRI, Narendrasinh Chavda, said that the warranty period of the equipment starts only after the equipment becomes operational. However, some doctors at GCRI, preferring anonymity, said that the warranty period starts from the date of purchase itself.
Siddhpur MLA Balwantsinh Rajput said that crores of rupees invested in the equipment are going to waste for inability of the GCRI to recruit competent staff for such a long time.
When contacted, GCRI director Dr Rakesh Vyas pleaded helplessness in doing anything concrete in this matter. “We are running the centre with available resources and operating the equipment for which technical experts are available. We have been advertising regularly for recruitment of Radiation Oncologist at national level,” he said. The decision to purchase the PET/CT Scan machine was taken by the then director Dr Pankaj Shah.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More