Over 400 parrots were left homeless after an old banyan tree fell in heavy rains that lashed Sevalia village in Kheda district of Central Gujarat on Wednesday night. Over 60 of them died on the spot, 115 were injured and 250 others were rescued and freed on Thursday morning by officials of the state forest department and an NGO.
“The incident happened at night, when an old banyan tree near the state transport bus stand in the village collapsed following heavy rains. While we managed to rescue and free over 250 of the parrots, over 60 of them we crushed under the tree’s weight. Meanwhile, 115 of the injured birds were taken to the Asha Foundation in Ahmedabad,” said MK Parmar, range forest officer of Thasra taluka of the district.
According to officials, it was largely the local villagers who helped save the birds most of whom got trapped in the foliage of the tree.
“About 115 of these birds were brought to our hospital-cum-shelter in two ambulances at 4 am. These birds have broken wings and legs, and are currently unfit to fly,” said Harmesh Bhatt, of Asha Foundation.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
“We are currently treating them. Once they recover, we plan to release them in the same village from where they were rescued,” Bhatt added.