Over 400 parrots were left homeless after an old banyan tree fell in heavy rains that lashed Sevalia village in Kheda district of Central Gujarat on Wednesday night. Over 60 of them died on the spot, 115 were injured and 250 others were rescued and freed on Thursday morning by officials of the state forest department and an NGO.
“The incident happened at night, when an old banyan tree near the state transport bus stand in the village collapsed following heavy rains. While we managed to rescue and free over 250 of the parrots, over 60 of them we crushed under the tree’s weight. Meanwhile, 115 of the injured birds were taken to the Asha Foundation in Ahmedabad,” said MK Parmar, range forest officer of Thasra taluka of the district.
According to officials, it was largely the local villagers who helped save the birds most of whom got trapped in the foliage of the tree.
“About 115 of these birds were brought to our hospital-cum-shelter in two ambulances at 4 am. These birds have broken wings and legs, and are currently unfit to fly,” said Harmesh Bhatt, of Asha Foundation.
“We are currently treating them. Once they recover, we plan to release them in the same village from where they were rescued,” Bhatt added.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review