DiAmond traders in Surat and some members of the Patidar community in Gujarat have come together to form a new body, Patidar Sangh, which will push for the release of Patidar youths arrested during the quota agitation. The diamond traders include Surat Diamond Association (SDA) president and Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC), Gujarat region, chairman Dinesh Navadia. Navadia, also a member of the VHP, Kanji Bhalara, a social worker and BJP footsoldier, diamond businessman Ramjibhai Patel and retired police officer M G Kaneriya, all Patidars, are behind the formation of the Sangh.
- Gujarat elections: Don’t vote for BJP, NCP or AAP, says Hardik Patel in Surat
- FIR against Hardik Patel for holding Rajkot rally without permission
- Gujarat Assembly elections 2017: My campaign is against BJP, people will make right choice, says Hardik Patel
- Six Patel outfits hit out at Hardik: Turned Patidar andolan into personal andolan
- Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti withdraws threat to disrupt Rahul Gandhi's meeting
- Violence as Patidars clash at BJP yuva morcha event in Surat, two buses torched
Surat city and Navsari district has over 3,500 small and big diamond factories most of which are owned by Patidars. Surat also has over 10 lakh Patidars hailing mainly from Saurashtra, who are also in textile business. The Patidar Sangh hopes to become an umbrella organisation bringing under its fold the Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti (PAAS), headed by Hardik Patel, who is in jail under sedition charges, Sardar Patel Group headed by Lalji Patel and others.
Bhalara said, “We will give memorandum to Surat district collector on Wednesday with a time period till April 15, requesting the state government to release Patidar youths from different jails. If our demands are not met, we will assemble in Surat and sit on one-day indefinite hunger strike on April 16.”
Navadia said, “Patidar Sangh is a non-political organisation and our motive is to unite all Patidars of Gujarat.”