The Gujarat government, on Monday, granted Nanavati-Mehta Commission that is probing into the 2002 Godhra train carnage and subsequent communal riots in the state, two months’ extension till August 31 to submit its report.
Constituted on March 6, 2002 to probe into the Godhra train carnage on February 27, 2002 and the subsequent communal riots in Gujarat, the Commission’s term was set to end on June 30 and it had sought an extension. This was the 22nd extension granted to the Commission by the state government. A senior government official confirmed the development that the Commission got two months’ extension.
The Commission has already given its first report pertaining to the incident of the burning of S-6, a coach of Sabarmati Express, in which 59 kar sevaks were charred to death near Godhra railway station on February 27, 2002. The Commission had called the incident a pre-planned conspiracy involving “some individuals”.
In its first report, the Commission also made it clear that “…there is absolutely no evidence to show that either the Chief Minister and/or any other Minister(s) in his Council of Ministers or Police Officers had played any role in the Godhra incident.” The Commission was appointed by the Gujarat government led by the then Chief Minister, Narendra Modi, shortly after the riots in 2002.
Initially, the Commission consisted of Justices (Retired) G T Nanavati and K G Shah. However, following the death of Shah in March 2008, Justice (Retired) Akshay Mehta was appointed the second member of the Commission.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched