State health and finance minister and government spokesperson Nitin Patel on Monday said that the BJP sympathised with Maya Kodnani, a convict in the 2002 Naroda Patiya massacre case, and will “help her in all possible ways”. He was laying the foundation stone of a multi-specialty hospital near the Civil hospital, where Maya Kodnani is admitted for a series of illnesses.
Kodnani, who has been recently denied bail by the Supreme Court, was brought from jail to Civil Hospital on Monday morning, as the function went on at a distance. Asked if he was going to visit Kodnani at the Civil Hospital, Patel avoided a direct reply and said, “Our party’s sympathies are with her and she will be helped out in all possible ways,” he said.
Kodnani was the Minister of State for Woman and Child Development in the Modi government earlier. She resigned after her name figured in the Naroda Patiya riot case. She was later convicted by a special court for 28 years in the same case in which 95 Muslims were killed in the post-Godhra riots. She became the first minister to be convicted.
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
Asked if any of the ministers had gone to see her in the day in the hospital, Patel said, “all those who want to meet her or whom Mayaben agrees to meet, can go and meet her if the rules permit hem to do so”. He refused to say if he had gone to meet her.
Kodnani had applied for bail in the Supreme court on the grounds that she had suffered facial burns because of an oil lamp caused by a fall. She has benign positional paroxysmal vertigo which leads to the tendency to fall. She is undergoing electric shock therapy under general anaesthesia since she suffers from major depressive disorder with suicidal tendencies.