The Gujarat High Court (HC) on Tuesday granted three-month temporary bail to former minister in the Narendra Modi government and ex-BJP MLA Maya Kodnani on medical grounds.
Kodnani has been convicted and awarded life imprisonment by a special trial court in the 2002 Naroda Patiya massacre case.
A division bench of HC comprising Justices K S Jhaveri and K J Thaker passed an order in this regard,while asking Kodnani to inform the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) in case she moves out of Gujarat for medical treatment.
Kodnani had moved the petition while seeking temporary bail for six months to avail medical treatment. Her lawyer Hardik Dave had argued before the court that Kodnani was admitted at Ahmedabad Civil Hospital for the past one month and different tests were carried out on her. It was revealed that Kodnani was suffering with tuberculosis of intestine,besides heart disease and depression.
SIT opposed the bail plea on the ground that the treatment could be made available to her as per jail manual.
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
The court,after going through the documents,granted Kodnani three months temporary bail.
Kodnani,who is one of the 32 persons convicted in the Naroda Patiya massacre case,is also facing a criminal trial in the 2002 Naroda Gam massacre case. In Naroda Patiya,97 persons were killed whereas,in Naroda Gam,11 persons were killed by mobs on February 28,2002. In Naroda Patiya case,she was awarded life imprisonment.
Earlier,the Narendra Modi government had given a sanction to file an appeal in the HC to seek death sentence for Kodnani and others. However,subsequently,it refused to grant the sanction to the SIT.
Kodnani was an MLA during 2002 Gujarat riots and later on she was made minister of state for women and child development in 2007. However,Kodnani had to resign after she was arrested in the two riots cases.