A day after a low-intensity blast on the premises of the judicial magistrate court in Malappuram, north Kerala, the police on Wednesday said ‘Base Movement’, the outfit suspected to have carried out the blast, has threatened to strike again elsewhere in the country. A pen drive recovered from the blast site also contains images of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and several other politicians, which, police sources said, could be an indication that they could be targeted.
Three cars were damaged in Tuesday’s blast; no one was injured. A box referring to ‘Base Movement’ was recovered from the site. Base Movement is suspected to be a regrouping of Al Ummah, a Tamil Nadu-based terror outfit.
Thrissur range Inspector-General M R Ajith Kumar said the police have found similarity between Tuesday’s Malappuram blast and the blasts earlier in Kollam, Mysuru and Chittoor. “We suspect the same group was behind all these blasts, and the one in Malappuram,” I-G Kumar said. “The pen drive recovered from the blast site has given details about previous operations.”
There are indications that the group would strike again, he added. All these are low to medium-intensity blasts carried out this year on court premises and some of the incidents have resulted in minor injuries but there have been no major casualties. Going by the nature of all these blasts, it can be assumed that they were meant to warn the public, Kumar said. The explosions have taken place in public places that do not come under close security surveillance, the I-G added.
DSP V T Balan, another investigating officer, said an NIA team had visited the blast site and had later held discussions with the police team, PTI reported. Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan today said the blast was an effort to harm peaceful atmosphere of the state. “Only a comprehensive probe will bring clarity on reasons behind the explosion,” he said.
For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now