The Gujarat High Court will next week hear the public interest litigation (PIL) filed by former Gujarat DGP Julio Ribeiro against the government’s decision to appoint P P Pandey as in-charge police chief of the state.
The petitioner’s lawyer approached a division bench led by Chief Justice R Subhash Reddy Wednesday morning during mentioning for urgent hearing. The bench told the petitioner that “let it come before it in regular course”.
Through the PIL, Ribeiro has questioned the state government choice of Pandey as in-charge DGP after the sudden transfer of P C Thakur to New Delhi on central deputation. On Wednesday, The Indian Express had reported that Ribeiro was to file the PIL through his lawyer Rahul Sharma.
- Gujarat High Court order on full-time DGP likely on Monday
- Gujarat HC seeks reply from govt on PIL seeking full-time DGP
- Gujarat HC dismisses PIL challenging elevation of DGP PP Pandey
- Ishrat case: Gujarat govt defends Pandey’s appointment as in-charge DGP
- Govt reply in Gujarat HC on Pandey’s appointment as DGP tomorrow
- Ishrat Jahan encounter: Gujarat HC wants govt’s reply on PIL challenging Pandey’s appointment
According to the former DGP, Pandey, an accused in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case, should not have been given the charge. “I have nothing personal against an individual but my move is based on principles,” Ribeiro, 87, had told The Indian Express.
Ribeiro, a 1953-batch IPS officer of Maharashtra cadre when Gujarat was part of it, had served Gujarat police in the mid 80s when the state was in the middle of a major riot. He had also served as DGP CRPF and police commissioner of Mumbai.