Opposing the regular bail application of suspended IPS officer DG Vanzara, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) told a special court on Wednesday that the accused in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case is “politically well-connected” who can tamper with the evidence if released on bail.
Vanzara is lodged at Sabarmati Central Jail. “The applicant being a highly influential and politically well connected person, there is every chance that he may tamper with the evidence and influence the witnesses, if released on bail, thus jeopardizing the judicial processes,” CBI said in its reply submitted before the special judge Gita Gopi.
In his resignation letter last year, Vanzara had attacked Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and BJP leader Amit Shah as he said that he was “ditched” by them. He had stated, “I used to adore Modi like a god. But I am sorry to state that my God could not rise to occasion under the evil influence of Amit Shah who usurped his eyes and ears and has been misguding him.”
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
CBI has also pointed out that owing to previous conduct of accused of influencing witnesses in Sohrabuddin Sheikh encounter case, the Supreme Court transferred the trial of the case to Mumbai.
Vanzara has sought bail on various grounds. He has said that he was merely following instruction from his superiors including the then Ahmedabad city police commissioner KR Kaushik and PP Pandey. While Pandey is in judicial custody in Sabarmati jail, a court case has been filed to arraign Kaushik.
A key accused in the case, Vanzara has also contended that IB officials who are also accused in the case have not been arrested despite being chargesheeted by CBI. Vanzara has also placed his medical records as ground for his bail. He is said to have been suffering from diabetes and cardiac problems.