Opposing the regular bail application of suspended IPS officer DG Vanzara, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) told a special court on Wednesday that the accused in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case is “politically well-connected” who can tamper with the evidence if released on bail.
Vanzara is lodged at Sabarmati Central Jail. “The applicant being a highly influential and politically well connected person, there is every chance that he may tamper with the evidence and influence the witnesses, if released on bail, thus jeopardizing the judicial processes,” CBI said in its reply submitted before the special judge Gita Gopi.
In his resignation letter last year, Vanzara had attacked Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and BJP leader Amit Shah as he said that he was “ditched” by them. He had stated, “I used to adore Modi like a god. But I am sorry to state that my God could not rise to occasion under the evil influence of Amit Shah who usurped his eyes and ears and has been misguding him.”
CBI has also pointed out that owing to previous conduct of accused of influencing witnesses in Sohrabuddin Sheikh encounter case, the Supreme Court transferred the trial of the case to Mumbai.
Vanzara has sought bail on various grounds. He has said that he was merely following instruction from his superiors including the then Ahmedabad city police commissioner KR Kaushik and PP Pandey. While Pandey is in judicial custody in Sabarmati jail, a court case has been filed to arraign Kaushik.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
A key accused in the case, Vanzara has also contended that IB officials who are also accused in the case have not been arrested despite being chargesheeted by CBI. Vanzara has also placed his medical records as ground for his bail. He is said to have been suffering from diabetes and cardiac problems.