A special CBI court on Friday slapped a penalty on a lawyer for being absent in court in connection with the hearing on the Ishrat Jahan encounter case. The court was to hear the argument of Gopinath Pillai’s lawyer against the clean chit given to BJP general secretary Amit Shah and former DGP K R Kaushik by the CBI for not making them accused in the case.
Earlier this week, the CBI had filed its reply giving clean chit to Shah stating that it didn’t have sufficient evidence against him. Following the reply, the court had granted permission to the complainant for the argument. Following which advocate Shamshad Pathan, who represents Pillai in the case, had informed the court that his senior would argue the case.
The court had scheduled the case for hearing on May 9. However, Pathan remained absent and his colleague sought time from the court. This was objected by the CBI as well as counsels of Shah and Kaushik. The court pulled up Pillai’s lawyer and slapped a penalty of Rs 500 on Pathan for non-appearance.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Geeta Gopi posted the hearing on May 12, while imposing the fine. Pillai’s son Pranesh alias Javed Sheikh was killed in the alleged encounter along with Ishrat Jahan, Jeeshan Johar and Amjadali Rana in 2004.
The CBI filed two chargesheets against 11 policemen including suspended ADGP P P Pandey, D G Vanzara, G L Singhal, former special director of IB Rajendra Kumar and three others.