Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014

Ishrat encounter case accused G L Singhal seeks reinstatement

Singhal, who is one of the key accused in the fake encounter case, had given two pen drives, containing 267 voice recordings, to the CBI investigators as evidence. Singhal, who is one of the key accused in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case, had given two pen drives, containing 267 voice recordings, to the CBI investigators as evidence.
Written by Satish Jha | Ahmedabad | Posted: April 20, 2014 3:49 am | Updated: April 20, 2014 3:51 am

Suspended IPS officer G L Singhal, who was the whistle-blower in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter as well as in the snooping row, has sought reinstatement in the police department, giving the case yet another twist, particularly since it has hit a dead end after the CBI filed a second chargesheet, implicating top intelligence officials.

Singhal, who is one of the key accused in the fake encounter case, had given two pen drives, containing 267 voice recordings, to the CBI investigators as evidence. Two news portals, claiming access to a part of this evidence, ran the tapes exposing how former minister of state for home Amit Shah had allegedly snooped on a woman architect using top officials of the crime branch and Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) at the behest of “saheb”.

The Narendra Modi government has set up a commission of inquiry, headed by Justice Sugnya Bhatt, to probe the validity of this tape and its contents. Singhal happens to be the prime witness before this commission.

The IPS officer was suspended for his alleged involvement in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case, while in service as the Superintendent of Police in Kheda district last year. Additional Chief Secretary, Home, S K Nanda said he has sought the DGP’s report on Singhal’s case in the Ishrat Jahan encounter before taking any decision. DGP P C Thakur had said that the procedure is underway and he is looking into Singhal’s case.

Soon after being arrested in February, 2013, by the CBI, Singhal  announced his resignation. In his handwritten resignation letter, which was not accepted by the government, Singhal had stated, “I would like to share my pain and grief that I deeply feel that the department and the government failed to protect me as a policeman from the victimization.”

On July 3, 2013, the CBI had chargesheeted Singhal as a key accused along with two senior IPS officers P P Pandey, D G Vanzara, apart from suspended DSP Tarun Barot, N K Amin, J G Parmar and Anaju Chaudhary.

In February this year, CBI filed the second chargesheet against four IB officials, including special director (retired) Rajinder Kumar and three others.

However, the chargesheet, which was quiet on the role of MoS Amit Shah, remains pending at a CBI court.

comments powered by Disqus
Featured ad: Discount Shopping

Most Popular

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 997 other followers