Despite severe heat conditions, Gujarat witnessed an impressive turnout of voters in the Lok Sabha polls held on Wednesday, clocking about 62 percent of votes, the second-highest figure ever achieved in its history. The average polling percentage in the state was recorded to be 61.94 per cent, which was 15 per cent higher than the votes polled (47.89 per cent) in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
According to figures available with the office of the state’s Chief Electoral Officer, the polling percentage in the Lok Sabha polls was 35.92 per cent in 1996, 47.03 per cent in 1999, 45.60 per cent in 2004 and 47.89 per cent in 2009.
The highest turnout during a Lok Sabha poll in Gujarat was seen way back in 1967, when 63.77 per cent of polling took place.
According to the Chief Electoral Officer of Gujarat, Anita Karwal, the Narmada district saw the highest voting percentage (78 per cent), while the lowest was seen in Porbandar district at 46 per cent. Vadodara district, which is part of the constituency from where BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi is contesting, saw a turnout of 70 per cent, while the state capital Gandhinagar saw a polling percentage of 62 per cent, Karwal stated in a release issued here.
Karwal also pointed out that no untoward incidents were reported during the polls. “Technical problems had developed in about 50 control units and 54 ballot units of EVMs. These EVMs were replaced and the voting was continued,” the official statement added.
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn