On the second day of continuous rain on Tuesday and following forecast of heavy showers during the week,the Vadodara district administration declared all schools closed till Thursday. More than 23,000 people across 100 villages in the district were evacuated and shifted to safer places. Of these,more than 2,000 were shifted from low lying areas.
A woman reportedly died in Kawant taluka of Vadodara district after a concrete slab fell on her on Monday night.
Four crocodiles,including three hatchlings,were rescued from various areas of Vadodara city. While a reptile was caught when it was crawling by roadside along a pond near Rajstambh Society,a five-feet-long crocodile was rescued from near a statue in Tarsali area on Monday night,said Raju Bhavsar of Gujarat State Prevention to Cruelty to Animals. Two more reptile hatchlings were rescued from the premises of Kashivishwanath Temple,located on Rajmahal Road and handed over to the forest department.
Vadodara city received 234 mm of rainfall in the past 24 hours,resulting in water logging in several areas. The heavy overnight rains led to the Vishwamitri river flowing above 22 feet on Tuesday morning,which is barely two feet below the danger mark,giving rise to fears of a flood-like situation and pressing disaster management teams to evacuate residents from low lying areas.
H J Taparia,Chief Fire Officer,said,We are monitoring the situation and have asked people in low lying areas to move to safer places as the rains are expected to continue and Vishwamitri is inching towards its danger mark.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Residents from several housing colonies in Alkapuri,Chhani,Fatehgunj Pratapnagar,Waghodia Road,Harni,Vasna and Mandvi,expressed anger at the VMCs total unpreparedness to deal with the rains. Amit Patel,a resident of Devnagar in Vasna,said,This year,heavy shower has paralysed the city to an extent that people have to remain indoors. What kind of monsoon management has the VMC done? I think it is a shame that they are collecting so much money as taxes and not spending it on basic amenities like stormwater drains.
More than 13,000 persons were evacuated in Bharuch district,as the water level in Narmada recorded 35 feet at Golden Bridge.
Kawant,in the newly carved district of Chhota Udepur,received a record-breaking 425 mm rain during in the last 24 hours. At around midnight on Monday,heavy rains claimed a life in Borkapada after the wall of a village home collapsed on one Shimniben Bhil.
In Surat,textile and diamond trading activities remained suspended,and schools and shops remained closed for the second day. Due to a flood alert,exams scheduled this week had to be postponed. A reduction in discharge of water from the Ukai dam came as a relief for the residents. Surat Municipal Commissioner M K Das said,We have started brushing,cleaning and watering those areas where the water had accumulated. Our teams consisting of 500 people have been on the roads and streets since afternoon.
The rainfall recorded in Surat city was 72 mm,Bardoli 100 mm,Choryasi 120 mm,Mandvi 93 mm and Umarpada 321 mm,in Valsad 174 mm,Pardi 155 mm,Umargam 224 mm,Dharampur 232 mm and Kaprada 223.