The Gujarat HC on Friday extended the stay on the arrest of social activist Teesta Setalvad, her husband Javed Anand and three others in the Gulberg Society fund embezzlement case till April 23. A single-judge bench of HC, comprising Justice Anant Dave, passed an order after the state government counsel sought time to file reply to the anticipatory bail petitions moved by the five in the case. Earlier, the court had stayed the arrest till April 4.
Apart from Setalvad and Anand, the other three accused in the case include Tanvir Jafri, son of slain former Congress MP Ahsan Jafri, and Salim Sandhi and Feroz Gulzar Mohammed Pathan – chairman and secretary of Gulberg Society, respectively. They were booked by Ahmedabad City Detection of Crime Branch while acting on a complaint lodged by Feroz Saeedkhan Pathan who lived in Gulberg Society during the 2002 riots.
The five have been facing charges of breach of trust, cheating and conspiracy. DCB had registered an FIR against Setalvad and others for allegedly usurping Rs 1.51 crore collected by them for turning Gulberg Society into a mausoleum. They moved the HC after Ahmedabad City Civil & Sessions Court dismissed their anticipatory bail petitions recently. HC has posted the bail plea for hearing on April 23.
Earlier in the day, the Bombay HC dismissed a petition filed by activist Teesta Setalvad and her husband seeking quashing of an FIR filed against them for the alleged embezzlement of funds, while stating that the jurisdiction of their petition lied with the Gujarat High Court since the FIR, that the petitioners urged the court to quash, was filed in Gujarat.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest