The Gujarat HC on Friday extended the stay on the arrest of social activist Teesta Setalvad, her husband Javed Anand and three others in the Gulberg Society fund embezzlement case till April 23. A single-judge bench of HC, comprising Justice Anant Dave, passed an order after the state government counsel sought time to file reply to the anticipatory bail petitions moved by the five in the case. Earlier, the court had stayed the arrest till April 4.
Apart from Setalvad and Anand, the other three accused in the case include Tanvir Jafri, son of slain former Congress MP Ahsan Jafri, and Salim Sandhi and Feroz Gulzar Mohammed Pathan – chairman and secretary of Gulberg Society, respectively. They were booked by Ahmedabad City Detection of Crime Branch while acting on a complaint lodged by Feroz Saeedkhan Pathan who lived in Gulberg Society during the 2002 riots.
The five have been facing charges of breach of trust, cheating and conspiracy. DCB had registered an FIR against Setalvad and others for allegedly usurping Rs 1.51 crore collected by them for turning Gulberg Society into a mausoleum. They moved the HC after Ahmedabad City Civil & Sessions Court dismissed their anticipatory bail petitions recently. HC has posted the bail plea for hearing on April 23.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
Earlier in the day, the Bombay HC dismissed a petition filed by activist Teesta Setalvad and her husband seeking quashing of an FIR filed against them for the alleged embezzlement of funds, while stating that the jurisdiction of their petition lied with the Gujarat High Court since the FIR, that the petitioners urged the court to quash, was filed in Gujarat.