More than 30,000 engineering seats are likely to remain vacant this year against 28,201 seats that could not be filled up last year. However, most of these seats would remain vacant in self-financed institutes (SFIs) located in remote areas which are not preferred by students.
There are a total of 70,409 engineering seats available in the state’s engineering colleges, including 116 SFIs, 16 government colleges, three grant-in-aid, one autonomous and two colleges run on the basis of private-public partnership(PPP).
- Mumbai: 12 private medical colleges refuse to admit PG students over fee norms
- Vijay Rupani’s Mukhyamantri Yuva Swavalamban Yojana for unreserved students finds more takers among girls
- Socio-Economic Review in Gujarat: Technical education stares at bleak future as fewer students opt for it
- Govt urges AICTE not to approve new colleges this year
- No takers for engineering colleges in remote areas
- Woman undertrial raises a hell in city court,abuses magistrate
According to member-secretary of the Joint Admission Committee for Professional Courses (ACPC) G P Vadodaria, of the total students having passed Class XII examination in ‘A’ group, only a little over 51,000 are eligible for admission to degree engineering and pharmacy courses for which the minimum marks in Class XII examination is 45 per cent for general category and 40 per cent for reserved category candidates. There are a total of 4,514 seats for bachelor of engineering (BE) courses.
According to Vadodaria, all the students would not go for engineering courses. Some of them may opt for pure sciences, some may go for business and other may get admissions in Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) or National Institutes of Technology (NITs). So, the chances are that around 40,000 students may go for engineering courses in state’s colleges, leaving about 30,000 seats vacant.
Seats have never remained vacant in government engineering colleges where the annual tuition fee is Rs 1,500 only, against Rs 60,000 to Rs one lakh or even more charged by private ones. While 100 per cent of seats in government colleges are filled through JACPC, only 75 per cent seats in SFIs are filled through JACPC.The remaining 25 per cent seats in SFIs are filled through the management quota.
Vadodaria said that in private universities like Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University, Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology, Nirma University and Institute of Infrastructure, Technology, Research and Management, 50 per cent of seats would be filled up by JACPC on merit and the remaining 50 per cent would be filled up the institutes themselves on all India ranking of the students in JEE (main) exams.