The Gujarat Pradesh Congress announced Jyotiben Sojitra, as president of Surat city women wing president. Sojitra, a Patidar, is municipal councilor of Congress from Ward no. 3 in Varachha area.
There are over 12 lakh Patidars, hailing from different talukas and districts in Saurashtra and North Gujarat, settled in Suratm who work in diamond, textile and other industries.
- Behind Gujarat’s urban-rural skew: Where faith in BJP overrode urban traders’ anger and Hardik appeal
- Gujarat elections: How ‘anger’ faded, why Patidars didn’t ‘deliver’ for Congress
- Gujarat Assembly elections: Turnout falls in Surat’s Patel seats, Muslim-majority booths
- To keep Gujarat, Narendra Modi's campaign detours from vikas to caste
- Gujarat elections: In diamond hub in Surat, noteban and GST are rough edges
- Gujarat election: Three Congress leaders quit over tickets
This is being seen as Congress’s slew of Patidar appeasement moves after it appointed Hasmukh Desai (Patidar), as president of Surat city Congress party and of the 60 organizational posts in Surat city Congress party, Patidars have been appointed in over 25.
During local body elections, the Patidars had supported the Congress leading to win of 22 corporators in Surat Municipal Corporation. This victory gave a new lease of life to the Congress which was struggling to reach double figure of victory in the municipal elections of Surat city.