The house collapse on Friday morning killing one 12-year-old girl has stirred the municipal corporation to launch a quick survey of remaining dangerous buildings which may crumble any time. No inquiry has been ordered in this particular case,but owners and occupiers of other such buildings will be asked to repair them immediately.
This three-storied building in Sarangpur where the Dalwaadi family lived,was listed among the 400 dangerous structures along the Rathyatra route in the walled city. Therefore its case makes authorities doubly answerable to see it was either pulled down or repaired. None of this was done despite being served a notice. Officials say that legally speaking their hand are tied in is regard due to legislative incompetence.
Deputy Municipal Commissioner (central zone) I K Patel said the fresh survey would be done after fine tuning its details next week in consultation with legal and structural experts. So far the officials would go around such buildings and inspect them superficially but this time they will be asked to inspect interiors of every such building and stricter procedures will be followed, he said.
He admitted that even after such painstaking effort,it would physically impossible to decide on extend of vulnerability of these houses and not necessarily every owner or occupier should agree with findings of the survey. Legal issues between owners and occupiers remains a big hurdle in taking the process to its logical end,he admitted but said fresh notices would be issued at the end of the survey.
Fire brigade officials say they come into picture only for rescue operation after a mishap,otherwise it is the job of municipal corporations estate department to take action or secure demolition of such buildings.