After suffering humiliating defeat in the just concluded general elections, the Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) is gearing itself up for the bypolls for Vadodara Lok Sabha seat vacated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and nine Assembly seats to be vacated by BJP MLAs elected to Lok Sabha as also Junagadh Municipal Corporation elections. The bypolls are to be any time held within six months.
Speaking to The Indian Express, state party president Arjun Modhhwadia said, “Our first priority now is how to go about the bypolls for the seats which were all held by the BJP. We will do our best to win all the seats,” he said.
The Congress leader said that he would soon be touring the state and hold meetings with party leaders and workers at the block-level to mobilise the workers for the bypolls.
The nine Assembly seats are Maninagar (Ahmedabad), Anand, Matar (Kheda), Limkheda (Dahod), Talaja (Bhavnagar), Jam-Khambalia (Devbhoomi Dwarka), Deesa (Banskantha), Mangrol (Junagadh) and Tankara (Rajkot).
Asked how winning of seats will benefit the party because BJP was in absolute majority in Lok Sabha as well as in the state, Modhwadia said,” “It does not matter. We will make every effort to ensure that we win these seats.”
Asked about restructuring of the party organisation, he said that there was no move at all for any changes at the state level. “But we plan to reorganise the party at block-level to strengthen the party at the grassroots level for future elections,” he added.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The opposition leader said that party’s focus would now be on women and youths, forming a very important segment of the electorates. “With the percentage of youth voters increasing, youths would be out special centre of attention and every effort would be made to mobilise them in favour of the party,” said Modhwadia.