When the BJP-led NDA government at the Centre is in the process of replacing Congress-appointed Governors in several states, the Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) spokesperson Manish Doshi has been appointed as chairman of the search committee for vice-chancellor of the Saurashtra University.
And he is being assisted in the job by Gujarat University Vice-Chancellor M N Patel and Indian Institute of Teachers’ Education Vice-Chancellor Shashiranjan Yadav, both considered to be close to the political party ruling in the state.
Doshi is a familiar name in the educational circles of Gujarat. Having been associated with the GU for the last 20 years, first as a NSUI activist, then as a member of the university syndicate for several years and now as a senate member, he is known as Congress party’s face in the state’s biggest varsity.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
His appointment as head of the committee to select a panel of names for SU vice-chancellor has led to negative reactions in state’s academic circles dominated by those close to the ruling party. Several academicians in the GU expressed surprise over the appointment of Doshi as chairman of the committee to select a panel of names of SU vice-chancellor.
But state Education Department sources said that the state government had no hand in selection of Doshi. Sources said that while two of the members were appointed by the state government, a third one is nominated by the Governor. And the person nominated by the Governor has been traditionally heading the committee.
An official on the condition of anonymity said that Doshi had been nominated on the panel by Governor Kamla Beniwal, a former Congress leader from neighbouring Rajasthan and that was why he was its chairman.
When contacted Doshi said that there was nothing wrong in his appointment under BJP rule.
Doshi has to submit a panel of three names to the state government before October when the term of existing vice chancellor M K Padalia expires.