When the BJP-led NDA government at the Centre is in the process of replacing Congress-appointed Governors in several states, the Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) spokesperson Manish Doshi has been appointed as chairman of the search committee for vice-chancellor of the Saurashtra University.
And he is being assisted in the job by Gujarat University Vice-Chancellor M N Patel and Indian Institute of Teachers’ Education Vice-Chancellor Shashiranjan Yadav, both considered to be close to the political party ruling in the state.
Doshi is a familiar name in the educational circles of Gujarat. Having been associated with the GU for the last 20 years, first as a NSUI activist, then as a member of the university syndicate for several years and now as a senate member, he is known as Congress party’s face in the state’s biggest varsity.
His appointment as head of the committee to select a panel of names for SU vice-chancellor has led to negative reactions in state’s academic circles dominated by those close to the ruling party. Several academicians in the GU expressed surprise over the appointment of Doshi as chairman of the committee to select a panel of names of SU vice-chancellor.
But state Education Department sources said that the state government had no hand in selection of Doshi. Sources said that while two of the members were appointed by the state government, a third one is nominated by the Governor. And the person nominated by the Governor has been traditionally heading the committee.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
An official on the condition of anonymity said that Doshi had been nominated on the panel by Governor Kamla Beniwal, a former Congress leader from neighbouring Rajasthan and that was why he was its chairman.
When contacted Doshi said that there was nothing wrong in his appointment under BJP rule.
Doshi has to submit a panel of three names to the state government before October when the term of existing vice chancellor M K Padalia expires.