Congress on Saturday kicked off a membership drive in the city with the aim to attract “young, educated people” within the party fold and strengthen its booth-level base. People interested in joining the party filled forms to get party membership, in a drive that will go on till August 20.
The drive is part of a state-level campaign that comes ahead of the restructuring of the party as terms of office-bearers end in December this year. The membership drive is mandatory ahead of the election of presidents at the state and district level.
Incumbent city Congress president Narendra Ravat said that the party aimed to add at least 25,000 new members under its fold. The membership drive in Vadodara became all the more important as the Lok Sabha constituency would again go for polls because Narendra Modi quit it after winning the seat.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“We have got 20,000 existing members and plan to add another 25,000 in the next 10 days. Anybody interested in the party can seek primary and active membership by filling a form. The membership drive is mandatory ahead of the election of the party presidents at district and state level,” Ravat said.
The party also drew the attention of the public towards the issues of corruption, inflation, and cow slaughter which it called are rampant in the state revealing the mis-governnace of the party. Women members of the party prepared rakhi of tomatoes and tied them on the wrist of the male members, as part of its protest against the sharp rise in price of vegetables.
Day 1: Over 1.25 lakh join Congress
The Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) launched its membership drive on Saturday in more than 26 districts of the state. State Congress president Arjun Modhwadia claimed that more than 1.25 lakh members were enrolled on the first day of the drive that would continue till august 20, the birthday of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.
He said that the members would also be given identity cards. ENS