Congress on Saturday kicked off a membership drive in the city with the aim to attract “young, educated people” within the party fold and strengthen its booth-level base. People interested in joining the party filled forms to get party membership, in a drive that will go on till August 20.
The drive is part of a state-level campaign that comes ahead of the restructuring of the party as terms of office-bearers end in December this year. The membership drive is mandatory ahead of the election of presidents at the state and district level.
Incumbent city Congress president Narendra Ravat said that the party aimed to add at least 25,000 new members under its fold. The membership drive in Vadodara became all the more important as the Lok Sabha constituency would again go for polls because Narendra Modi quit it after winning the seat.
“We have got 20,000 existing members and plan to add another 25,000 in the next 10 days. Anybody interested in the party can seek primary and active membership by filling a form. The membership drive is mandatory ahead of the election of the party presidents at district and state level,” Ravat said.
The party also drew the attention of the public towards the issues of corruption, inflation, and cow slaughter which it called are rampant in the state revealing the mis-governnace of the party. Women members of the party prepared rakhi of tomatoes and tied them on the wrist of the male members, as part of its protest against the sharp rise in price of vegetables.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Day 1: Over 1.25 lakh join Congress
The Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) launched its membership drive on Saturday in more than 26 districts of the state. State Congress president Arjun Modhwadia claimed that more than 1.25 lakh members were enrolled on the first day of the drive that would continue till august 20, the birthday of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.
He said that the members would also be given identity cards. ENS