The Gandhidham police on Friday started recording statements of people as part of their investigation in the case against Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) national convenor and former Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal and five others for alleged violation of model code of conduct of election.
The B Division police in Gandhidham booked Kejriwal and five other AAP workers on Thursday after Kejriwal addressed a gathering of party supporters through loudspeaker system without due permission and thereby violating notification of district magistrate in this regard. On the basis of a complaint filed by Assistant Police Sub Inspector P M Parmar, the police booked the AAP leader under Section 188 of Indian Penal Code.
“We are collecting evidence and recording statements of those present at the time of the incident. Among others, there were three election officers remanded present at the time of the alleged breach of law,” District Superintendent of Police (Kutch East) Deepak Meghani told The Indian Express on Friday.
An offence under Section 188 of IPC can attract a jail term of up to six months and fine up to Rs 2,000.
The DSP said that a salt inspector, the taluka development officer of Gandhidham and chief officer of Gandhidham municipality, the officers who have been given special powers by district magistrate for the elections, were present at Rishabh Corner, where the alleged incident took place. Kejriwal addressed AAP workers for around 10 minutes during his stopover in Gandhidham as party of his day-long tour of Kutch district on Thursday.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“The election offices have made independent videography of the event and we shall seek that also,” Meghani added. It was a case of violation of the notification of district magistrate, hence they had filed a police complaint, he added.
Asked if Kejriwal will be arrested, the DSP said, “We shall keep this open-ended, but no arrest has been made so far.”
Meanwhile Duttesh Bhavsar, Kutch district convenor of AAP, said, “Yes, we admit we have made a mistake. We used 30 watt loudspeaker system in the rush of the district tour and did not know such a small system also warranted prior permission. We shall meet the district collector in this regard.”