Amidst incessant heavy downpour, Chief Minister Anandi Patel performed the first Sabarmati maha-aarti at the riverfront organised by the Jagannath Temple Trust on Tuesday evening.
The chanting of mantras with “Jai Sabarmti Mayyia” at the riverfront was interspersed with echoes of azaan called out for Magareeb, the evening prayer at Khanja ni masjid and Baba Lavavi ni dargah, the two mosques right behind Somnath Bhudar area where the aarti was performed. This area which is on the eastern side of Sabarmati is dominated by Muslims.
Despite heavy rainfall devotees reached the riverfront in huge number to witness the first ever maha-aarti and stayed throughout the programme.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Speaking on the occasion, Anandi Patel congratulated the citizens on the launching during the auspicious Shravan month and urged them to help maintain the Sabarmati river clean. “We would contribute our best in fulfilling the dream of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee of inter linking of rivers across the country which was also announced by our Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Also, as Sabarmati river gets water from Narmada, in a way we are also praying to river Narmada,” she added in her address.
Among Jagannath Temple Trustees, temple mahant Dilipdas Maharaj, city mayor Minaxi Patel and AMC commissioner Guruprasad Mohapatra, Narendra Modi’s elder brother Somabhai also shared the stage and performed the aarti with them.