Cellphone battery blast possibly led to house fire

A Cellphone battery blast possibly led to a fire at a house in Patdi town of Surendranagar in the early hours of Thursday,killing two members of a family and leaving two others injured,the police have said.

Written by Express News Service | Ahmedabad | Published:March 14, 2009 3:39 am

A Cellphone battery blast possibly led to a fire at a house in Patdi town of Surendranagar in the early hours of Thursday,killing two members of a family and leaving two others injured,the police have said.

Navin Rathod (37) and his son Shailesh were killed,while his wife and daughter were severely injured in a blaze that gutted their residence in Limbawas on Thursday.

Initially,it was believed that the fire was caused by short-circuit. A day later,the FSL team expressed the possibility of a cellphone battery blast to be the cause.

According to reports,a blast in the battery ignited the fire which erupted into a blaze due to the presence of chlorine gas in the house in the form of raw salt. Rathod,the police said,was a salt trader. The generation of huge amount of gas in the closed room only aggravated the situation,they said.

“Some white gas was seen billowing out of the house. Besides,the fire was huge and spread very rapidly,which points to some additional agent that could have aggravated it. The FSL are coming to a conclusion that a short-circuit could not cause such an intense and rapid fire,” said the police.

The police are now awaiting the final FSL report.

The incident has taken everyone by surprise in Limbawas. The fire was huge and it took over two hours for the local fire brigade to douse it. The family members were rushed to the local hospital,where Navin and his son breathed their last. His wife and daughter were shifted to a hospital in Ahmedabad.

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.