The BJP on Tuesday started the process of selecting candidate for the forthcoming bypoll of the Vadodara Lok Sabha constituency that is scheduled to be held on September 13.
Three senior party leaders — city in-charge and state BJP vice-president Kaushik Patel, Ahmedabad ex-mayor Bhavnaben Patel and leader Jayanti Barot — held a meeting with party leaders to review the current situation in the constituency.
Several senior leaders including party MLAs from Assembly constituencies falling under Vadodara Lok Sabha seat — Savli, Waghodia, Vadodara city, Sayajigunj, Akota, Raopura and Manjalpur — and city corporators, district panchayat and district-level leaders were present in the meeting held at the party office in Manubhai Tower. The meeting will continue on Wednesday too.
The meeting was organised ahead of the declaration of party candidate’s name for the seat from where Prime Minister Narendra Modi resigned after he decided to retain Varanasi seat. None of the observers interacted with the media on the ground that the process was confidential and the name of the candidate shortlisted would be declared officially at a later stage.
“The process will go on for two days in which leaders representing the party in the Assembly constituencies, district panchayat and municipal corporation, as well as those from various party cells will meet the observers. The name of the candidate will be finalised by the party’s Parliamentary Board at a later stage and announced officially,” a party leader said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
No candidate has so far come forward to stake his claim for the seat and the decision is left entirely to the party, sources said.
Samarjitsinh Gaekwad, ruler of the erstwhile Gaekwad dynasty and president of Baroda Cricket Association, and former MP Balkrishna Shukla are seen as the frontrunner for the candidature.
The Election Commission recently announced the election date for three Lok Sabha constituencies including Vadodara and 33 Assembly constituencies on September 13. The result will be announced on September 16.