Padra BJP MLA Dinesh Patel was Saturday elected uncontested new chairman of the Baroda Dairy, replacing Karjan BJP MLA Satish Patel after in-fighting among board members. G B Solanki was elected uncontested vice-chairman, with both the members having the support of the majority of board members representing both the BJP and the Congress.
Dinesh Patel had moved the proposal of election only six months after the last chairman and vice-chairman were elected during the annual general meeting (AGM) of the board held last month, with the backing of a faction of BJP as well as Congress members even as some BJP members sided with Satish Patel.
The names of both the candidates were put before the board by the former vice-chairman, Shailesh Patel. The term of the chairman and the vice-chairman generally lasts for a year.
Speaking to the mediapersons after the election, chairman Patel said that Satish Patel had tried to wean away some members of the board representing Congress party in order to retain his position, but was not successful in his quest.
“He tried to win over some members of the Congress to gain majority in the 12-member board, but was not successful as in co-operative sector, politicking is not welcome. I have retained the seat with the support of the members of the both Congress and BJP, and similarly, Solanki has support of members representing both the parties. There should be no political division in dairy co-operative,” he said.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Of the 12 members of the Board, one was absent as he was out of the country. Representative of the NDDB was also not present.
District Supply Officer H K Vyas was given the charge of the election officer.
The election came after Satish Patel moved the High Court against the decision of the Board to hold the contest of the chairman and the vice-chairman within six months of his taking over.
The board had passed a resolution last month in favour of election after a majority of eight members, including those representing BJP and Congress, supported the decision, against four opposing it.
The HC upheld the decision for the election as per the Gujarat Cooperative Societies Act, 1962, which says that the election for the top post of the board of the co-operative body should be held within one month after the AGM is held.