Former minister Gordhan Zadaphia, who was reinducted into the BJP in February this year after a patch-up with Chief Minister Narendra Modi, has been sent to Varanasi to mobilise Eastern UP’s Kurmi voters who identify themselves with Patels of Gujarat.
Zadaphia, who held more than 200 public meetings in Saurashtra region for mobilising Patel voters in favour of the BJP, will be reaching Varanasi on Tuesday. Though other Patel leaders, like Parsottam Rupala and R C Faldu, have also been sent to Varanasi, Zadaphia has been especially asked to go to Varanasi because of his connections with the local Kurmi leaders.
Zadaphia, who is the president of Akhil Bharatiya Sardar Patel Mahasabha, is also associated with the All UP Kurmi-Kshatriya Mahasabha.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
During the period when he was running his Mahagujarat Janata Party (MJP), Zadaphia often travelled to UP and attended programmes organised by the Kurmi Mahasabha. This brought him closer to them.
Speaking to The Indian Express, Zadaphia said that he would confine himself to Varanasi till May 12 to ensure that Modi won by a record margin from the holy city. “There are two lakh Kurmi voters, mostly in villages, in the Varanasi Lok Sabha seat. I will work among them for the party till May 12 when the polling is scheduled in Varanasi,” said Zadaphia.
Meanwhile, more than 200 AAP leaders and workers from Gujarat have gone to Varanasi to campaign for Arvind Kejriwal. Among them is AAP’s Ahmedabad East candidate Dinesh Vaghela.