The age-old tradition of schools issuing character certificates will soon be replaced by aptitude certificates in Gujarat, said Chief Minister Narendra Modi during his inaugural address of the National Education Summit held at Gandhinagar on Friday.
“We are trying to bring in a little change to the age-old tradition, perhaps introduced during the British rule. When we leave a school, we are given a character certificate and wherever we go we show the same character certificate. Ironically, none of those accepting it understands its requirement or utility,” he said.
“I have made this suggestion known to my colleagues and work is in progress regarding this. There should be a facility, where children will undergo regular observation and monitoring while in school. With the help of technology, their daily routine and family members will also be put under observation.”
Debunking the existing system of field visits, he said students should be taken to visits to army camps, industries, manufacturing companies. “Do we need to pass a resolution in the Parliament and make a law for this,” Modi said, while addressing representatives from 33 states and Union Territories, including more than 100 vice-chancellors and directors, 84 scholars and more than 1,500 professors and teachers. Over 3,000 students, who attended the event were from outside Gujarat and 200 of them were from 40 countries.
Those who shared the stage with Modi included Delhi University Vice-Chancellor Dinesh Singh, Mumbai Vice-Chancellor Dr Rajan Welukar, Charles Zukoksi provost and executive vice-president for Academic Affairs University of Buffalo, State University of New York, Dr Kishore Singh, who was responsible for the right to education at UNESCO and appointed as special rapporteur on the Right to Education by the UN Human Rights Council, Italian Ambassador Daniele Mancini and Gujarat Education Minister Bhupendrasinh Chudasama.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016