It is a sweet deal for mango lovers this summer. Just days after the European Union banned the import of Indian mangoes, the domestic fruit markets in Ahmedabad are flooded with Alphonso and Kesar varieties that are currently priced 20-50 per cent lower than those that existed 10 days ago.
A 10-kg box of Kesar is currently selling as low as Rs 300, while Alphonso – the king among mangoes – were going between Rs 800-1,200 (box of five dozen mangoes) in the Naroda fruit market, which is one of the largest wholesale markets in the city.
“The prices of mangoes have already fallen. It will fall no further,” said Ashraf Gaffar, who owns a shop in the fruit market. “Before the ban, Alphonso was selling at Rs 1,200-1,500 per box and Kesar was being sold at Rs 500-600 per 10-kg box,” he added.
“There is an oversupply of mangoes in the local markets, due to which the prices have gone down,” Gaffar said, while explaining the price-trend in the wholesale markets. Similar dip in prices of mangoes were also seen in wholesale fruit markets of Manekchowk and Kalupur. Ashok Kumar, who runs his business in the Manekchowk market, said, “The supply of mangoes is going to rise. Soon, Alphonso mangoes coming from the Ratnagiri area will stop and the local mango varieties will kick in,” Kumar said.
However, the drop does not seem to have reached the retail buyer. Suresh Prajapati, who has set up a temporary outlet to sell mangoes at Commerce Six Roads area said that he had been selling mangoes at the same rates that he did a couple of weeks ago. “I have been buying mangoes at the same rates. There is no drop in prices,” added Prajapati, who was selling a box of Kesar at Rs 650 and Alphonso at Rs 1,000.
Another retailer Haresh, who runs a ‘Kairi Bandar’ at Shivranjani, said, “The supply of mangoes in this part of city is less. Once more stocks arrive, we will lower the prices.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More