To ward-off imposters duping unsuspecting people, the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has decided to undertake a free membership drive until January 26.
Although party heads decided to conduct the free membership drive from January 10 to 26, the Vadodara wing of AAP began its free membership drive last week itself, after reports emerged of conmen duping people in the name of AAP in Surat. The party’s drive now allows citizens to become members without paying the mandatory membership fee of Rs 10.
The party has however not yet decided its strategy to deal with impostors in the long run. Bhushan Bhatt, media convenor of AAP Vadodara, said, “We have party receipt booklets that are issued to people who pay the membership fees and become members. The booklets have unique numbers and our volunteers know that. But for common people, it could be difficult to make out the difference. They can, however, call up the district helpline number of the party and verify if their receipts are genuine.”
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The party, however, is yet to devise a strategy to deal with the issue. “We have not yet heard of such a thing in Vadodara. The moment we heard about an incident in Surat where someone was collecting funds in the name of AAP, we decided to go with a free membership drive. Our volunteers are present in all election wards where they will induct people into the party. The party will soon decide what has to be done,” said Bhatt.
Former Vadodara mayor Ratilal Desai has taken charge of overseeing the membership drive in Godhra-Panchmahal. The party is also grappling with the dilemma of other political party workers joining AAP. Bhatt says, “Many people have joined us and we know some are already affiliated to other political parties. There are many who are joining only for the sake of a ticket. But this will not do. We are now going to begin streamlining the members in order to make it systematic. The ones with vested interest will anyway not be able to perform the duties that the party requires.”
The party will begin its “Jhadoo Abhiyan yatra” after January 26.