7 dead in Mehsana ammonia gas leakage

Seven persons died of asphyxiation after they got trapped inside a cold storage-cum-factory following the leakage of ammonia gas at Ranasan GIDC in Vijapur taluka on Saturday,the police said

Written by Press Trust Of India | Mehsana | Published: September 8, 2013 5:13:39 am

Seven persons died of asphyxiation after they got trapped inside a cold storage-cum-factory following the leakage of ammonia gas at Ranasan GIDC in Vijapur taluka on Saturday,the police said.

Prima facie it appeared that rupture in a pipeline carrying the gas to the factory resulted into the leakage,which has been stopped,according to a Fire department official.

“Seven persons,including a woman,asphyxiated to death after ammonia gas leakage in a cold storage factory at Ranasan GIDC in Vijapur taluka here,” the police said.

The deceased have been identified as Rahul Teja (20),Vihol Baldevsinh (35),Vihol Laxmansinh (40),Hirensinh Laxmansinh (40) and Daksha Naransinh (40),all hailing from Pilvai village in Vijapur taluka,and Sanjay Parmar (22) of Vijapur and Shrelkumar Rathod (33) of Ranasan,the police said.

A probe is on to find out how the pipeline got ruptured,the official said.

Earlier,firemen gained entry into the unit after cutting the roof and razing the sidewall. Three teams of Fire Brigade from Mansa,Mehsana and Vijapur,along with a team from the ONGC,and police were involved in the rescue operations.

For all the latest Ahmedabad News, download Indian Express App

Share your thoughts