Two persons were injured in two separate rain-related incidents in Vadodara city and two others rescued after they were trapped due to flash flood in Orsang river near Bodeli town in Chhota Udepur district, following heavy rains that continued in the region through Friday night.
Monsoon rains also exposed shoddy work of the Vadodara Municipal Corporation (VMC) as a portion of the newly constructed bridge connecting Atladra and Manjalpur over Vishwamitri river was damaged, making it dangerous for commuters.
The bridge, which was dedicated to Barodians by Chief Minister Anandi Patel during her recent visit in Vadodara, came apart on the edges with 10-foot-long wide cracks caused on two sides due to heavy rains.
A 23-year-old youth, Bhavesh Solanki, was injured when a tree fell on him when he was at a petrol pump in Vasna locality of Vadodara early Saturday morning. He was shifted to the SSG Hospital where he was being treated for injuries sustained on hand and back. In another rain-related incident, a tea vendor was injured after sustaining electric shock after he touched a naked wire that fell off an electric pole near the district Panchayat office.
In Bodeli town, situated some 50 kms form Vadodara, two persons had to be rescued from an islet in Orsang river after flash flood in the river that was semi dry till recently caught them trapped inside the river.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Local residents with the help of a police team rescued the persons who were living in a camp on the islet. While police identified one person as Vijay Bhui (37), a resident of nearby Dhokalia village, the other person was not identified as he was said to be mentally ill. “The incident took place at around 12.30 on Saturday when heavy gush of water in Orsang river caused the river to rise sharply.
Two persons who were living in a tent on an islet were trapped after the water level rose unexpectedly,” Bodeli police said.
The damage of the bridge gave Opposition Congress in VMC a reason to hurl charges of corruption on the civic body. “The bridge was constructed at a cost of Rs 13 crore and is 242-250 metre long, running over Vishwamitri river. The damage on the bridge risks lives and also exposes corruption of the VMC,” former Opposition leader in VMC Chinnam Gandhi said.
In the last 24 hours till Saturday morning, the city received around 9 inch rainfall, while on Saturday, only Waghodia received minimum rainfall. The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has predict moderate to light rainfall in the region in the next four days.