13-yr-old charred to death in Bhavnagar madrasa fire

A 13-year-old boy was charred to death when a fire broke out at a madrasa near Bhavnagar city in the early hours of Friday. Police said the boy was rushed to the Bhavnagar Civil Hospital where he died.

Written by Express News Service | Rajkot | Published: September 8, 2012 2:50:40 am

A 13-year-old boy was charred to death when a fire broke out at a madrasa near Bhavnagar city in the early hours of Friday. Police said the boy was rushed to the Bhavnagar Civil Hospital where he died.

The deceased was identified as Atik Khamtulla,a resident of Padara village in Dhandhuka taluka.

Police said the first floor of the building that housed the madrasa was gutted in the fire.

According to madrasa trustee Ahmed P,there were 745 students in the building when the fire broke out around 3.45 am. “The students rushed to a nearby ground after learning about the fire,” said the trustee,adding that nobody realised that one of them could not come down.

The trustee said a short circuit might have caused the fire,but this could not be confirmed.

The mattresses at the madrasa were made of foam,which caught fire quickly,police said,adding that further investigations were on.

For all the latest Ahmedabad News, download Indian Express App

Share your thoughts