In the last one year, a total of 13 lions have met with unnatural deaths in Gir Somnath, Junagadh and Amreli districts, the state government told the Assembly on Friday. Of these 13, one died in Gir Somnath, three in Junagadh and nine in Amreli district. While three lions died of electrocution, three others died after falling into wells and four died in train accidents.
The government said that to preempt unnatural death of lions, it has put in place modern facilities and employed staff, vehicles, wireless sets and weapons.
It also added that to thwart lions’ deaths in train accidents, the government has held discussions with Railways on ways to prevent lions’ deaths. The discussed steps include fencing on both sides of railway tracks in the Gir Sanctuary and preparing underpass on the railway tracks at the routine routes of lions.
In a short-term arrangement, it added, signboards have been put at sensitive locations for lions for the loco-pilots. Also, the loco-pilots and guards are being trained about lions. The government has also put speed-breakers at places on roads marked as sensitive for lions. The government is also disseminating information, seeking co-operation of locals in lion conservation.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review