111 schools caught in AMC,district panchayat tussle

The Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) is yet to take over 111 primary schools located in nagarpalika areas that were merged into the AMC from the district panchayat.

Written by Tanvir A Siddiqui | Ahmedabad | Published: July 30, 2013 5:10 am

The Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) is yet to take over 111 primary schools located in nagarpalika areas that were merged into the AMC from the district panchayat.

According to sources in AMC,the reason for the confusion is that while the schools under the district panchayat get 100 per cent grants from the state government,the AMC foots 80 per cent of the expenditure on its own,with the government providing the remaining 20 per cent. The AMC is now seeking an increase in grants for the schools coming under it from the district panchayat.

“We have made a representation before the State Education Department that we are ready to merge these schools into the School Board provided the Government considered our request to pay higher grants for the schools being transferred to it from district panchayat,” said school board chairman Jagdish Bhavsar,adding the merger would cost the AMC an additional Rs 4.30 crore a month in the form of salaries.

“We are hopeful this will be done at the earliest,” Bhavsar added.

Meanwhile,municipal commissioner Guruprasad Mohapatra said the state government had to take a call on the matter.

Also,since the schools come under the district panchayat the AMC cannot improve the infrastructure in these schools.

District education officer Ahmedabad (rural) M M Jani said,“As of now,no side can do anything to improve the infrastructure because of the jurisdiction tangle”.

For all the latest Ahmedabad News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results