Haryana minister gets clean chit in multiple allotment scam, 1,805 found guilty

Written by Sofi Ahsan | Chandigarh | Published: October 15, 2017 1:25 am
Haryana’s Education Minister Ram Bilas Sharma , Haryana Urban Development Authority (HUDA), Punjab and Haryana High Court, Haryana news, indian express news Ram Bilas Sharma

Giving a clean chit to Haryana’s Education Minister Ram Bilas Sharma in the multiple allotment scam, Haryana Urban Development Authority (HUDA) has told the Punjab and Haryana High Court that 1805 persons had been found to be guilty of securing double or multiple plots under the reserved categories and criminal cases need to be registered against them. The HUDA, in a written submission before the High Court, has said it is registering FIRs only against those allottees whose replies to the notices were not found to be “satisfactory or who had failed to justify such allotments as per the applicable policies” and has specifically mentioned that Sharma and IAS officer T C Gupta have not violated the housing policy.

It has also been submitted in the High Court that 99 plot files have been reported to be missing and the officials have been asked to register FIRs regarding the cases and take departmental action against the responsible officials. HUDA had constituted four sub-committees for scrutinizing all the allotments against the reserved categories for ascertaining the double or multiple allotment cases. Majority of the violations have taken place under the reserved categories meant for defence personnel. “1805 guilty persons/allottees of double/multiple allotments are those who deserve to be proceeded against including on criminal side and out of said 1805 allottees, FIRs have already been registered against 1205 allottees,” HUDA Chief Administrator J Ganeshan has said in the affidavit, adding action has been initiated against a total of 1577 people.

45 HUDA employees who are suspected to have violated the policy on the allotment of plots have been given show cause notice, according to the response. The separate reports submitted by the police and the HUDA have many contradictions in the cases of some senior officers who had been accused of possessing double plots in violation of the policy. The HC had on October 11 asked the HUDA to resubmit the status report after their submission was challenged by the opposing parties in the case. While the police, in its report, said the FIR against former IPS officer S C Sinha was cancelled in July 2016 since only one plot was found in his name, the HUDA in its affidavit has provided two plot numbers, different than the ones mentioned in the police report, and has restrained from commenting on the investigation status.

Similarly, in the case of the former IPS officer R C Jowel, the police has said the FIR was cancelled in May 2016 while the HUDA has said it has “requested DCP/DSP/SHO to intimate the status of criminal proceedings which has not been received yet”. However, while the HUDA had written to the police on June 30, the police affidavit submitted in the High Court in July was prepared on June 20. HUDA has also said that it is yet to take action against 228 suspected persons, including two retired judges of the High Court.

“The deponent has issued a letter dated 21.09.2017 to the Estate Officers, HUDA, to get the FIRs lodged in all remaining cases after following due process,” Ganeshan said in his submission. The Haryana Police, in its separate submission before the HC in July, had said 99 cancellation reports had been prepared and nine filed in the courts. 77 have also been declared untraced and only in 213 cases challans have been presented in the courts.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results