An Indian-origin portfolio manager, convicted for his role as the “central figure” in one of the most lucrative insider trading schemes in US history, should be sentenced to more than eight years in prison, Manhattan’s top federal prosecutor Preet Bharara has said.
Mathew Martoma, 39, was convicted in February of one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud and two counts of securities fraud.
A former portfolio manager of CR Intrinsic Investors, a division of hedge fund giant SAC Capital, Martoma will be sentenced on July 28 and and faces a maximum of 20 years in prison. Ahead of the sentencing, India-born Bharara asked the federal court here to sentence Martoma to more than eight years in prison for collecting confidential information about a high-profile drug trial and making profits and avoiding losses of $275 million for SAC Capital.
Martoma, a father of three, even earned a $9.3 million bonus for himself due to his various trades for SAC.
“Martoma’s post-graduate working life has been limited to highly-paid work for hedge funds. The bulk of Martoma’s earnings from his hedge fund career — the entirety of his $9 million bonus at SAC — were the proceeds of securities fraud,” Bharara said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More