The rupee trimmed its initial gains, but was trading still up by 3 paise to 67.71 against the US dollar on bouts of selling of greenback by banks and exporters in view of higher domestic equities.
The currency opened higher by 6 paise at 67.68 per dollar as against Tuesday’s level of 67.74 at the Inter-bank Foreign Exchange (Forex) market.
It hovered in the range of 67.7225 to 67.61 per dollar during the morning deals, before quoting 67.71 at 1025 hrs.
The dollar Index is trading down 0.14 per cent at 100 against a basket of six currencies.
Overseas, the dollar stood near an 11-mth high against a basket of currencies early Wednesday, after upbeat US data gave the greenback’s week-long rally fresh impetus.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The greenback got its latest boost from stronger-than-expected US October retail sales data out yesterday, which lifted Treasury yields and reinforced the outlook for a Federal Reserve interest rate hike in December.
Meanwhile, the benchmark BSE Sensex was trading higher by 171.35 points or 0.65 per cent at 26,475.98 at 1030hrs.