The NSE index Nifty today crossed the 7,700 level for the first time and the BSE Sensex hit yet another record high of 25,735.87 led by a rally in IT, auto banking and pharma stocks on sustained inflow of foreign capital.
The 50-issue Nifty crossed the 7,700 level for the first time by gaining 43.65 points, or 0.57 per cent, to trade at an all-time high of 7,700.05, surpassing its previous intra-day high of 7,683.20 touched yesterday.
Brokers said sentiment was upbeat on sustained capital inflows and widespread buying by retail investors after the new government unveiled its agenda for economic reforms.
Software services exporter Infosys rallied by 4.66 per cent to Rs 3,218.40, Tata Consultancy Services, country’s top software exporter, climbed 1.27 per cent to Rs 2,185.60 and Wipro jumped by 1.23 per cent to Rs 531.45.
Among banking stocks, SBI surged 2.11 per cent to Rs 2,722.10 and Kotak Bank rose 2.61 per cent to Rs 923.55.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
In the pharma sector, Sun Pharma jumped 1.07 per cent to Rs 615.50, Cipla gained 1.77 per cent to Rs 414.80 and Lupin by 1.52 per cent to Rs 991.05.
Further, a mixed trends on the other Asian bourses influenced the trading sentiments here, they said.
The benchmark BSE Sensex too climbed 152.18 points, or 0.59 per cent, to trade at new record high of 25,735.87, breaking its previous record high of 25,711.11 reached in yesterday’s trade.
Among other Asian markets, Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index was down 0.35 per cent while Japan’s Nikkei was up by 0.39 per cent.