While the Nifty soared past the 8,000 mark on Monday and stocks hit lifetime highs on the back of encouraging economic data, experts believe there’s room for more upside, reports fe Bureau in Mumbai. A BofA-ML report said markets are likely to double from current levels in the next four years, tracking the trajectory of corporate earnings in the same period. India’s GDP growth for the three months to June came in at 5.7%, the fastest rise in 10 quarters, up from 4.6% in the January-March period.
“Our bullishness is driven by our view that the earnings have turned the corner and we will see earnings doubling over the next four years. We think market returns could mirror earnings growth,” BofA-ML wrote on Monday.
The brokerage believes that while market returns have outpaced earnings growth in the past, in the current rally earnings and markets will move in tandem on account of higher valuations. “In the four years from FY02-06, earnings more than doubled for the Indian markets and for the six years to FY08 earnings tripled. During the same period markets tripled between FY02-06 and went up 5x between FY02-08. In this cycle, market returns far exceeded earnings growth since we started with a low PE of 7x and hence saw the PE re-rating as well. We are presently at PE levels of 15x already and hence market returns to mirror earnings growth,” the report added.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
fe Bureau | The Financial Express