Tracking the extremely strong sentiment in the equity markets that recorded lifetime highs, as many as 220 stocks hit one-year highs on the BSE today as the trend of general election results showed that Narendra Modi’s BJP-led NDA was headed for a clear victory at the Centre.
Among prominent stocks that touched 52-week highs were: ACC, Adani Ports, Ambuja Cements, Axis Bank, BHEL, BPCL, Coal India, GMR Infra, HDFC, HDFC Bank, HPCL, ICICI Bank, Indian Oil Corp, IOB, ITC, JSW Steel, L&T, Maruti Suzuki, NHPC, ONGC, PNB, RIL, SBI, Tata Motors, Tata Power, Tata Steel.
The BSE 30-share blue-chip index Sensex that opened at 24,271.54 soon zoomed to touch its lifetime high of 25,375.63, recording a sharp gain of 1,470.03 points over its previous close.
Buying was seen across sectors with the BSE bankex index surging 6.68 per cent, becoming the top gainer among the 13 sectoral indices.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Among the 30-Sensex firms, Sesa Sterlite Ltd, ICICI Bank, SBI, Axis Bank, HDFC Bank and Bharti Airtel were the lead gainers.
The BJP-led NDA appears to be heading for a victory in the Lok Sabha elections with the trends in the counting of votes giving the saffron party leads in 257 seats on its own while its allies led in 39 seats.