The BSE Sensex today retreated from record high levels by losing over 188 points due to profit booking in bluechips following disappointing quarterly earnings amid a weak global trend.
The 30-share index had climbed to all-time high of 22,939.31 at the outset. However, later weak quarterly earnings by bluechips fueled profit booking, pulling the barometer down by 188.47 points, or 0.82 per cent, to close at 22,688.07 points.
The wide-based Nifty of the NSE Nifty hit an intra-day record high of 6,869.85 before ending lower by 58.05 points, or 0.85 per cent to 6,782.75.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
Maruti Suzuki India, which reported 35 per cent drop in Q4 earnings, declined by 1.35 per cent. ICICI Bank dropped by 2.29 per cent even as the bank posted 9 per cent growth in profits for the last quarter.
Among other major losers, ITC fell the most by 2.76 per cent, RIL by 2.01 per cent and Larsen& Toubro by 1.96 per cent. Hindustan Unilever, NTPC, ONGC and Sun Pharma also declined.
Brokers said market participants indulged in booking profits at existing higher levels driven by disappointing quarter earnings by auto major Maruti Suzuki and Biocon.
They said a weak trend in the Asian region and lower opening in Europe on rising tension between Russia and the US over Ukraine further influenced the trading sentiment.
In 30-BSE index components, 21 stocks declined and nine ended higher.
The Oil and Gas sector index suffered the most by losing 2.11 per cent to 9,605.77 followed by FMCG index by 2.02 per cent to 6,837.11. Capital Goods index lost 1.34 per cent to 12,589.52 and Power index by 1.06 per cent to 1,741.18.
Sensex retreats from records on profit-booking, global trend
(Reuters) BSE Sensex closed lower after hitting a record high for the fourth straight session on disappointment over earnings from market heavyweights including ICICI Bank.
The benchmark BSE Sensex index provisionally closed down 0.82 percent at 22,688.07. The index rose as much as 0.27 percent to an all-time high of 22,939.31 earlier the day.
The broader NSE Nifty index ended 0.85 percent lower at 6,782.75 after gaining as much as 0.42 percent to a record high of 6,869.85 earlier the session.
Shares in ICICI Bank provisionally closed down 2.35 percent.