The BSE Sensex today retreated from record high levels by losing over 188 points due to profit booking in bluechips following disappointing quarterly earnings amid a weak global trend.
The 30-share index had climbed to all-time high of 22,939.31 at the outset. However, later weak quarterly earnings by bluechips fueled profit booking, pulling the barometer down by 188.47 points, or 0.82 per cent, to close at 22,688.07 points.
The wide-based Nifty of the NSE Nifty hit an intra-day record high of 6,869.85 before ending lower by 58.05 points, or 0.85 per cent to 6,782.75.
Maruti Suzuki India, which reported 35 per cent drop in Q4 earnings, declined by 1.35 per cent. ICICI Bank dropped by 2.29 per cent even as the bank posted 9 per cent growth in profits for the last quarter.
Among other major losers, ITC fell the most by 2.76 per cent, RIL by 2.01 per cent and Larsen& Toubro by 1.96 per cent. Hindustan Unilever, NTPC, ONGC and Sun Pharma also declined.
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
Brokers said market participants indulged in booking profits at existing higher levels driven by disappointing quarter earnings by auto major Maruti Suzuki and Biocon.
They said a weak trend in the Asian region and lower opening in Europe on rising tension between Russia and the US over Ukraine further influenced the trading sentiment.
In 30-BSE index components, 21 stocks declined and nine ended higher.
The Oil and Gas sector index suffered the most by losing 2.11 per cent to 9,605.77 followed by FMCG index by 2.02 per cent to 6,837.11. Capital Goods index lost 1.34 per cent to 12,589.52 and Power index by 1.06 per cent to 1,741.18.
Sensex retreats from records on profit-booking, global trend
(Reuters) BSE Sensex closed lower after hitting a record high for the fourth straight session on disappointment over earnings from market heavyweights including ICICI Bank.
The benchmark BSE Sensex index provisionally closed down 0.82 percent at 22,688.07. The index rose as much as 0.27 percent to an all-time high of 22,939.31 earlier the day.
The broader NSE Nifty index ended 0.85 percent lower at 6,782.75 after gaining as much as 0.42 percent to a record high of 6,869.85 earlier the session.
Shares in ICICI Bank provisionally closed down 2.35 percent.