BSE Sensex today rose by 13 points to record closing high of 22,715.33 points on sustained buying by funds in bluechips in a volatile session amid firming global trends.
Riding high on IMF growth forecast, the 30-share index today touched new all time high of 22,792.49 in early trade.
However, profit booking emerged later pulling the index down by 57 points to a day’s low of 22,644.43 points. Finally, the barometer settled at 22,715.33, up by 12.99 points or 0.06 per cent.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Brokers said the market continued to lure foreign investors on growth prospects and pumped in Rs 60,000 crore this year so far, considering India a more attractive among emerging markets.
They said a firming trend in the Asian region and a higher opening in Europe as minutes from the Federal Reserve’s last meeting eased concern about when interest rates will increase, further fuelled the sentiment.
On similar lines, the broad-based Nifty of the National Stock Exchange climbed to an all-time high of 6,819.05 before settling 0.20 point up at 6,796.40, also a record closing level.
In 30-BSE index components, 16 stocks gained while 14 ended with losses.
Reliance Industries (RIL), State Bank of India, Axis Bank, Tata Motors, Tata Power and HDFC Ltd were among major gainers.
The power sector index gained the most by surging 2.52 per cent to 1,785.77 followed by capital goods by 1.61 per cent to 12,326.55. Realty index rose by 1.25 per cent to 1,552.79 and PSU index by 0.98 per cent to 6,531.05.
BSE Sensex closes flat after hitting record highs as Infosys, ITC shares retreat
(Reuters) BSE Sensex retreated from record highs hit earlier in the session to end flat as profit-taking hit blue chips such as Infosys Ltd on caution ahead of the release of quarterly earnings and inflation data next week.
The BSE index rose as much as 0.4 percent to a record high of 22,792.49, while the NSE index rose 0.33 percent to a record 6,819.05.
Infosys provisionally fell 1.7 percent, while ITC Ltd ended 1.4 percent lower.
The BSE index provisionally ended 0.06 percent higher, while the NSE Nifty index ended flat.