BSE Sensex today rose by 13 points to record closing high of 22,715.33 points on sustained buying by funds in bluechips in a volatile session amid firming global trends.
Riding high on IMF growth forecast, the 30-share index today touched new all time high of 22,792.49 in early trade.
However, profit booking emerged later pulling the index down by 57 points to a day’s low of 22,644.43 points. Finally, the barometer settled at 22,715.33, up by 12.99 points or 0.06 per cent.
Brokers said the market continued to lure foreign investors on growth prospects and pumped in Rs 60,000 crore this year so far, considering India a more attractive among emerging markets.
They said a firming trend in the Asian region and a higher opening in Europe as minutes from the Federal Reserve’s last meeting eased concern about when interest rates will increase, further fuelled the sentiment.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
On similar lines, the broad-based Nifty of the National Stock Exchange climbed to an all-time high of 6,819.05 before settling 0.20 point up at 6,796.40, also a record closing level.
In 30-BSE index components, 16 stocks gained while 14 ended with losses.
Reliance Industries (RIL), State Bank of India, Axis Bank, Tata Motors, Tata Power and HDFC Ltd were among major gainers.
The power sector index gained the most by surging 2.52 per cent to 1,785.77 followed by capital goods by 1.61 per cent to 12,326.55. Realty index rose by 1.25 per cent to 1,552.79 and PSU index by 0.98 per cent to 6,531.05.
BSE Sensex closes flat after hitting record highs as Infosys, ITC shares retreat
(Reuters) BSE Sensex retreated from record highs hit earlier in the session to end flat as profit-taking hit blue chips such as Infosys Ltd on caution ahead of the release of quarterly earnings and inflation data next week.
The BSE index rose as much as 0.4 percent to a record high of 22,792.49, while the NSE index rose 0.33 percent to a record 6,819.05.
Infosys provisionally fell 1.7 percent, while ITC Ltd ended 1.4 percent lower.
The BSE index provisionally ended 0.06 percent higher, while the NSE Nifty index ended flat.