With no specific directions from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to local civic bodies, the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) has stopped accepting Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 denominations as tax or fees. “As of now, we are not accepting the Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 denominations. We had an extensive meeting with city bankers and officers. The matter has been referred to the RBI and a clarification is expected by tomorrow,” said municipal commissioner Kunal Kumar.
PMC chief accountant Ulka Kalaskar said, “There are no specific directions from the RBI to civic bodies on whether to accept the banned notes or not. Thus, the PMC has issued directions to its staff at collection centre to not to accept any notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000.”
Watch What Else Is Making News
The PMC has directed all its civic offices, citizen facilitation centres, hospitals, building construction sites and garden departments to not to accept the discontinued notes.
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
The civic body receives a revenue collection of Rs 30 lakh every day in cash but on Wednesday only payments through cheques and online transactions were allowed.
The PMPML comes under public sector undertaking transport so the clause of accepting the currency notes for 72 hours applies for the service, PMC officer said.